Panu Ahrnberg, Fortum’s Production Manager in charge of heating and cooling business in Finland, says the company trusts ETH as a partner in mechanical services.
– ETH has been with us on our journey by providing reliable and capable service for heat exchangers and heat production pipeworks. They have also carried out various welding and installation projects, says Ahrnberg.
ETH and Fortum have been cooperation partners for fifteen years already. ETH’s employees have been working at Fortum’s power plants in Espoo and Naantali, the latter of which is currently owned by Turun Seudun Energiatuotanto plc, which Fortum has partial ownership of.
– Thanks to our long-standing cooperation, we have accumulated plenty of information about how Fortum operates, allowing us to conduct projects efficiently, summarized ETH’s Head of Management Kristo-Pekka Niemi.
Capable, flexible and responsible
Ahrnberg is personally familiar with ETH as a cooperation partner from years back.
– ETH was already partnered up with Fortum when I started work at Fortum in Naantali. I had personally worked with them before this. When I transferred internally to a position here in Espoo and we needed an expert in mechanical service and piping for investment projects, ETH was already a well-recognized name in the business. In 2021, we made a public procurement with strict requirements and of course other criteria besides price. Our price comparison showed that ETH could offer a competitive wholesale service.
Besides price, safety and staying on schedule are important criteria for public procurements. Delivering on them requires solid competence from a maintenance team.
– For example, professional workmanship is extremely important in pressure device and pipe maintenance. ETH employs over a hundred maintenance professionals, enabling us to always offer the expertise our clients need, says Niemi.
The benefits of versatile resources have become clear in Fortum’s heating and cooling business as well.
– ETH is capable of organizing things independently. They always take responsibility for their work. According to Ahrnberg, ETH’s services can indeed be summed up in three words: capable, flexible, and responsible.
Responsibility projects together with responsible partners
Fortum’s strategy emphasizes both climate-related and social responsibility. Fortum and the city of Espoo have joined forces and committed to creating carbon neutral district heating in the Espoo, Kauniainen and Kirkkonummi area during the 2020s. Coal will be given up by 2025 at the latest. This carbon neutrality project goes by the name Espoo Clean Heat.
– Next-generation district heating is based on replacing fossil fuel sources with smart and flexible solutions. These utilize e.g. waste heat from server centres and waste water, renewable energy, heat pumps and bioenergy, explains Ahrnberg.
Espoo Clean Heat is an enormous project. To reach its goals, Fortum needs trustworthy partners with whom cooperation works smoothly.
– We are constantly looking for new ways of cooperating with various parties and we’ve been very pleased with ETH’s flexibility, speed, and their desire to ensure safe everyday work for our clients.